Friday, December 04, 2009

One-Line Movie Reviews

Somebody recently asked me what movies I've seen lately, and I honestly couldn't think of a single one (which may be a commentary on the quality of movies these days, or on my memory; I'm not sure which). So I went to Netflix and looked them up. Here's my one line review of the last several I've seen:

Everything Is Illuminated -- Good, interesting, foreign-type film, stars Elijah Wood

The Mutant Chronicles -- Do not dare see this. Spare yourself. I still can't believe I watched the whole thing.

Knowing -- Pretty good. Better than I expected, actually, given that it stars Nicholas Cage and I don't like his acting much, and his voice makes me want to rip my ears off.

Battlestar Galactica: The Plan -- Hate to say it, but I was disappointed by this one. Not up to BSG standards. See previous rant on the subject.

Mirrors -- Horror flick. I don't like horror flicks. I didn't realize it was a horror flick when I rented it. Watched it anyway. Reconfirmed that fact that I don't like horror flicks.

Darfur Now -- Definitely worth watching. Like, Now.

Blindness -- Interesting but very disturbing film. There's a graphic rape scene in it. I couldn't watch that part, but the very fact it was in the story line made me feel uneasy for days.

Snatch -- No.

Inkheart -- Good, clean family fun.

House of D -- Take it or leave it. Mostly, I'd leave it.

Once -- Another foreign-ish, indie film. I really liked it. Slow paced, but interesting. Good music.

Push -- Great. Right up my sci-fi geek alley.

Burn After Reading -- Off beat, weird. Dark humor. Not bad.

He's Just Not That Into You -- Good one.

State of Play -- Good thriller flick.

Wolverine -- People say it sucked, but I heard that so much that by the time I got it I was expecting something awful. I was delightfully surprised. It's much better than awful.

7 comments:

lady2beetle said...

If you liked Inkheart, you should check out City of Ember. I picked it up and really liked it. So much so that I must now seek out the book and read it (it's based on a serious of kids books).

Michael D. Warden said...

THanks @lady2beetle. I'll check it out!

Casey said...

That's a great idea, man, even though you didn't like Snatch! Great post!

Michelle Brown said...

"Knowing -- Pretty good. Better than I expected, actually, given that it stars Nicholas Cage and I don't like his acting much, and his voice makes me want to rip my ears off."

"Push -- Great. Right up my sci-fi geek alley."

"Wolverine -- People say it sucked, but I heard that so much that by the time I got it I was expecting something awful. I was delightfully surprised. It's much better than awful."

Ha! Reading this (along with the box of Godiva chocolates that mysteriously arrived) made my morning.

Michael D. Warden said...

thanks Casey, and Michelle. :)

Mike said...

Thanks for posting these, Michael. I think I will be checking a couple of them out. If you haven't seen them yet, I would recommend The Soloist and Henry Poole Is Here.

Kenny said...

Funny. I recently watched Inkheart and Push. Sara made fun of both of them... but I kinda liked 'em both.