Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Dangerous Radical Free Flow

This is my Vision Map for 2009. (Click on it and it will explode.) I created this along with a cadre of men I led through the BraveHeart Intensive early in the year. Every man creates a map like this and we use it as a tool to access each man's deeper passions, values and God-inspired desires. I use it, also, to help me name a Theme around which to build the coming year.

My theme for the year was Dangerous, Radical Free Flow. I wanted to immerse myself in the "Wild Good" of the Spirit of God, to follow the Spirit boldly and immediately, moment to moment...to find the paths, the choices, the places where God's love beckoned me out of my comfort zone and into a Dangerous, Radical, Free Flow of Life. To inspire my soul toward this end, I meditated on a video that captured for me the wildness of my desire. I even created a Ning site to find others of my tribe who desired the same. (Are you one of the Dangerous Radical Free?)

And now, it's December. As I look back over the past 12 months, I ask the inevitable question: How'd I do?

My honest answer: Not bad. I did press in to many arenas more boldly than I ever have before. Some of them led to success, some to failure, but all of the paths I took were transformational, both for me and those around me. I sought out and dove into the Wild Good, many times, opting not to play it safe, to take the more dangerous way--not for the sake of danger but for the sake of the True Life found in God. And yet, at times I still held back...pressing in, but not all the way; daring to act, but not as boldly as I knew I could.

This much is certain: I went much further for having a theme than I would have gone without it. Tonight I'll be meeting with a new cadre of men to choose a new life theme for 2010. I already have a sense of what that theme will be, something to do with the cultivation of joy in my life. What about you? Do you know what you want the theme of your life to be in 2010? Here are a few questions that may help you name it:
  • What would you love to see happen in your life in 2010?
  • What struggle or obstacle would you love to finally overcome?
  • What new territory needs to be explored?
  • What are the things you must do in 2010 to move your life forward in the direction of your deepest heart desires?
  • Based on your responses to these questions, what do you want the Theme of your life to be in 2010?
Feel free to post your thoughts in the comments...

4 comments:

Douginco said...

Great vision board Michael--uber masculine, solitary and adventurous but also soulful and introspective..like you.

A fine example of You are That. I trust Life will bring you all that and more in the year ahead. I'm up to five vision boards now and in the process of creating one that for me shows what the New Masculine looks like.

Blessings on your journeys,

Doug Ellis
www.dougellis.com

Michael D. Warden said...

Thanks Doug. You rock, as always.

Sara said...

Hi Doug,

As a mom of a boy, with the responsibility to raise him to become a man, I've been giving thought to the topic of masculinity the past couple years. There was an interesting discussion on the topic of masculinity over at this site yesterday - http://traylorlovvorn.com/?p=509. Maybe it will be more food for thought on your vision board for the New Masculine?(Michael, hope it wasn't tacky that I just posted a link to another man's blog here...it seemed applicable. Feel free to moderate if you don't agree.)

Michael - Great post. I started this week considering 2010. I've come so far this year and I have miles to go before I sleep.

Michael D. Warden said...

That's awesome, Sara. Traylor is actually a friend of mine. He's been through the BraveHeart Intensive with me too.

Small world...