Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Freshurious

Something is changing. A veil is falling. A mantle is lifting. My life has an unexpected fresh scent, like the air after a sudden Spring shower. There is sorrow in it as well--a leaving of sorts. A letting go and setting aside. No--this: A laying down of the burden. Even such a weight as I have lovingly carried for my mom for so long must be grieved.

I was sharing this with my friends at Brilliant Chaos Online last week and told them that I needed a new word to describe this transition. After much verbal wrangling, we came up with "freshurious"...an adjective describing the fresh sense I have of the world, my curiosity for all this newness, subtle but profound, and my sense of sureness that all of it, however unfamiliar, is right and good.

So it's definitely a freshurious time for me. And I am also reminded by this word of another core reality of life: that everything is developmental. Everything that happens in our lives, whether we label it good or bad, presents an opportunity to choose transformation. To be more than you were before it came.

In my desire to experience transformation in the midst of my grief and the changing winds of my life, I am collecting questions to explore, questions that begin to approach the heart of the change that may be trying to happen. Maybe one or more of these will strike a chord with your own life as well:

  • What kind of life would you want for yourself if no one else got to vote?
  • What is your heart's desire for how your story will unfold from here?
  • What is the untold storyline within your soul that most wants to be released?
  • What do you need to let go of in order to create what's next?
  • What does it mean to be dangerous, radical & free now?
I'm curious--how would you answer these questions for yourself? Pick one (or more) and feel free to share in the comments. I'm looking here, and invite you to join me.

2 comments:

Michelle Brown said...

Here's a question to add to the list: What voices from the past, afar and anear, which whisper in the background need to be brought to the surface, seen, owned and silenced forever so a greater internal spaciousness can occur -- so a greater capacity for living dangerously, radically and freely can be embraced?

Sara said...

Oddly enough, this is the first year I've really embraced the fact I DO have two people in my life who have a BIG vote - my husband and my son. This is my truth. I will not ever have the grandiose dreams I once had, because those are not geographically or physically possible with relational boundary markers I (emphasis on I) CHOSE for myself. In embracing my truth, I've left behind anger, disappointment and bitterness. For the first time ever I see clearly my tactical path and I'm moving forward. For some it is the vote of others, the living out a life of character, and fulfilling commitments with kindness and integrity that will provide the guardrails for their steep and narrow path.