Tuesday, June 23, 2009

A City on a Hill

I've noticed in myself, as well as in those I lead and serve, this intractable tendency to try to live in two stories at once. One story is grand and beautiful and true, the other is small and petty and territorial and mostly blind to glory. One is unguarded, the other suspicious. One demanding, the other allows it all. One stands tall in resting trust, the other is forever frightened of losing the ground it needs, or thinks it needs, to prove itself acceptable. One story is about the greater good, the other is about our own lack of belief, sitting on its haunches in a dank, dark corner, bound in shame, or the fear of it.

I think sometimes the greatest test we each face as human beings is in deciding which story we are actually going to live.

When God looks at who you are, what do you really believe he sees?

How you answer that question will tell you much about which story you are choosing.

"Here's another way to put it: You're here to be light, bringing out the God-colors in the world. God is not a secret to be kept. We're going public with this, as public as a city on a hill. If I make you light-bearers, you don't think I'm going to hide you under a bucket, do you? I'm putting you on a light stand. Now that I've put you there on a hilltop, on a light stand--shine! Keep open house; be generous with your lives. By opening up to others, you'll prompt people to open up with God, this generous Father in heaven."
(Jesus, from Matthew 5:14-16, The Message)

3 comments:

Jerri said...

This really touched me. Just a few days ago I was just talking about this very thing. I think we all need to take a moment and try to look at ourselves as God sees us. If we loved ourselves like He does... Just imagine.

Michael D. Warden said...

Imagine, indeed.

Thanks Jerri.

Brian said...

Beautiful Michael. Thank you.