Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Challenging Quotes

Whenever I come across a quote that I find especially inspiring or challenging, I tuck it away in a document where I collect them. Then from time to time I read through them all and pull out one or several that seem especially relevant or instructive in my current season, and meditate on them over a period of weeks to see what God may have to teach me through them. Here are some of the quotes that are particularly challenging and stretching to me right now:

A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world. -- Oscar Wilde

I go through life as a transient on his way to eternity, made in the image of God but with that image debased, needing to be taught how to meditate, to worship, live, and to think. -- Donald Coggan

I would hurl words into this darkness and wait for an echo, and if an echo sounded, no matter how faintly, I would send other words to tell, to march, to fight, to create a sense of hunger for life that gnaws in us all. -- Richard Wright

One’s real life is often the life that one does not lead. -- Ocsar Wilde

You are a human boy, my young friend. A human boy. O glorious to be a human boy! O running stream of sparkling joy to be a soaring human boy! -- Charles Dickens

Every great man is unique. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

A man who has attained mastery of an art, reveals it in his every action. -- Samurai Maxim (17th Century Japan)

You see, idealism detached from action is just a dream. But idealism allied with pragmatism, with rolling up your sleeves and making the world bend a bit, is very exciting. It's very real. It's very strong, and it's very present. -- Bono

Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -- Mary Oliver

Let the wars begin, let my strength wear thin
Let my fingers crack, let my world fall apart

Train the monkeys on my back to fight

Let it start tonight

--Switchfoot, "Let Your Love Be Strong"

1 comment:

Cody Kanz said...

Gotta Love Oscar Wilde! That first quote is, itself, trenchant dawn against the opaque backdrop (punishment) of his lonely genius. In the end, fortunately, he saw that the Sun actually does shine through.