Wednesday, January 07, 2009

Stop and Stare

Some songs just nail me.

Our band performed "Stop and Stare" by One Republic at church this past Sunday. Awesome song musically, but the real power of it hits when you let the lyrics wash over your soul. Listening brought to mind for me a few quotes that alternately thrill me and send chills up my spine:

"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" -- Mary Oliver

"One’s real life is often the life that one does not lead." –- Ocsar Wilde


Like all true art, the thing is not to try to analyze it; just open yourself to it and let it have its effect.

Here are the lyrics. And here's the music video. I offer it to you today; perhaps God may have something to say to you through this as he did for me.


1 comment:

after we're gone, the spirit carries on said...

"Stop and stare, you start to wonder why you're here, not there"
It's a good song. May I recommend Opshop's song Noah for a similar style and a challenging lyric - "But we couldn’t look back for fear of movin’ on
And although the space between us could be redrawn
We’re still lyin’ down in history’s biggest storm"