Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Fun Convos Authors Have...

The Flash called Monday night, and the convo went something like this:

"I've got just 19 pages left ot go in Waymaker. I want to find out how soon the next book will be coming out."
"I'm working on it now," I reply. "It'll be coming out sometime late summer early fall of 2009."
Pause. I hear shallow breathing. "Well, that's not going to work at all," says Flash. He's clearly agitated.
"You're ready for it now," I say, laughing.
"Yeah..." Flash pauses again. I imagine him pacing. No...I think he is definitely pacing now. "I'm trying to hold off reading the end. I've only got 19 pages, and I'm reading them slowly. Sometimes I read just a page or two, then I try to put it down, 'cause I know the end is coming."
"You sound like you're on crack," I observe, again laughing, "and your supply is about to be cut off." I'm trying to use humor to diffuse the tension, but I don't think it's working.
"Yeah..." he says. Silence. Yep, definitely not working.
"I'm so glad you're enjoying the story. I'm excited about it too. The next book is going to be even better."
"Bigger, better?" he asks.
"Yeah. I'm really pumped about it. And it's a little scary."
"Okay so how can we get you writing this thing faster?"
"I've got two days slated this week," I say. "Short of somebody paying me to write it, that's the best I can do most weeks."
"Two days, huh? When--Thursday and Friday?"
"Yep."
"Okay, so I'm going to call you on Wednesday night, just to make sure you're on track to do nothing but write on Thursday and Friday. It'll be about 10 pm. We've gotta get you on this thing."
"Okay, cool. Thanks." I don't argue because I actually think this will help me focus.
"K, bye," says Flash. And he hangs up.

That call made my evening. Every writer needs someone like Flash in their corner.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha...he's not the only one captivated by the pearlsong story! :)

Anonymous said...

Count me in on that one! If I lived near you I'd do your laundry, mow your grass and do whatever it takes to free you of the things in life that waste your time. End of summer or beginning of fall? I don't think I can handle that. I knew there was a reason I don't read trilogies until all three books are in print. Maybe Xanax would help?

Michael D. Warden said...

I hear ya Anon. It's driving me nuts too! thanks for hanging in there with me!