Friday, November 14, 2008

Where Freedom Takes You

I'm now in week 6 of the 60-60. And with every beep, every hour, I've been pausing to notice what I'm doing, what I'm thinking, where I am, and ask myself: "What if you were free? What then?"

It's been disturbing to notice how often I don't know how to answer the question. In some of my routines, I've become so used to the way things are that I can't even picture what freedom would look like.

But even more disturbing is this: In those moments when I can envision how my life would look if set fully free, it isn't what I expect. It isn't necessarily fun or light-hearted. To be truly free in a world where so few are...

In my naivete I had pictured freedom as living on the beach or in the mountains and windsurfing or snowboarding every day. But it turns out that real freedom looks much more like William Wallace than Warren Miller. With great freedom comes great passion to set others free as well. And, even in the most ideal circumstances, that kind of work is difficult and trying. At its worst it can cost you your life. Why do you think we love movies where the one who is free lays down his life for the many who are not? It's the story of Jesus, the story of the gospel, retold again and again, in different settings and different ways--but it's all the same story. He set the pattern; He showed us the way that leads to Life. And those who are free are called to follow in His steps.

No, it's serious business, this being free. The paradox is that if you are truly free, you will lay it all down for those who are not.

"For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it;
but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it."
--Jesus, from Matthew 16:25

1 comment:

deepwaterscoach said...

Wow, Michael...This perspective on freedom is extremely powerful. It makes me wonder "What if I were truly free? What then?" And then I wonder "What if we all were truly free? What THEN?"

Keep crusading! The world needs what you have to give!