Monday, November 24, 2008

Farther Off the Map

So I'm running this morning (yes, back on the previously unknown trail system in my neighborhood), and it's about an hour in, and I'm just a teeny bit lost, which for me is a very cool thing, and I come into a clearing and just stop in the middle of the trail and look around. Good Lord! Have I discovered the lost continent of Atlantis? This place is huge! Not a rooftop to be seen in any direction--just winter grasses graced with cactus, mesquite and grand live oaks, the whole scene dotted here and there by the bone white of limestone boulders. And I break out laughing. Really. Just crack up; it's joy and I can't help it. What a gift this is! What a sanctuary!

How is it possible that I have lived in this neighborhood for five years and not known about this place? I've been driving around it on all sides all that time. (But see, it's mostly hidden from view of the main roads, nestled like a huge island of green in a sea of neighborhoods.) Still...wow, amazing. Makes me wonder how many other treasures God is waiting to reveal to us just beyond the view of the habitual, predictable paths we travel every day.

I went for more than two hours this time (I didn't run the whole time. Couldn't, really. The place wiped me out!), and spooked even more deer in route. And there were still some trails I didn't have time to cover. Next time...

Oh, mama...this is good. This is very very good.

"So here I am in the place of worship,
eyes open, drinking in your strength and glory.
In your generous love I am really living at last!
My lips brim praises like fountains"
(Psalm 63:2-3, Message)

No comments: