Friday, November 21, 2008

Do You See It Too?

Last night as I'm winding down toward bedtime, I hopped onto my Facebook page and read through all the twitter-like status updates recorded there from all my Facebook friends. Here are just a few of the 30 or so I read:

A is going to a meeting with some folks in the refugee community.
B has finally found a way to make soup a meal...add a pound of bacon.
C is just returning from meeting with a friend who is out of work.
X is reading Happy Birthday greetings and thanking God for friends.
Y is about to surprise my daughter.
Z is going on a date with his wife, ending at Sprinkles...

And I was once again struck by how wondrous, how stunning and profoundly blessed it is to be a living, human soul. We are, each of us, a universe of wonders; there is no end to the discovering of it, or to the reveling in what treasures can be found there.

I'm not a humanist, but I know art when I see it. But this is nearly impossible to explain. As Merton lamented, "I realize what we all are. And if only everybody could realize this! But it cannot be explained. There is no way of telling people that they are all walking around shining like the sun."

In the margin beside that quote in the book, I have scribbled, "He sees it too!" Really, until the moment read that, I thought I must be mad.

2 comments:

kari said...

This post very much reminds me of this Lewis quote:

"It is a serious thing to live in a society of possible gods and goddesses, to remember that the dullest and most uninteresting person you talk to may one day be a creature which, if you saw it now, you would be strongly tempted to worship, or else a horror and a corruption such as you now meet, if at all, only in a nightmare. All day long we are, in some degree, helping each other to one or other of these destinations. It is in the light of these overwhelming possibilities, it is with the awe and the circumspection proper to them, that we should conduct all our dealings with one another, all friendships, all loves, all play, all politics. There are no 'ordinary' people. You have never talked to a mere mortal. Nations, cultures, arts, civilisations -- these are mortal, and their life is to ours as the life of a gnat. But it is immortals whome we joke with, work with, marry, snub and exploit -- immortal horrors or everlasting splendours. This does not mean that we are to be perpetually solemn. We must play. But our merriment must be of that kind (and it is, in fact, the merriest kind) which exists between people who have, from the outset, taken each other seriously -- no flippancy, no superiority, no presumption. And our charity must be a real and costly love, with deep feeling for the sins in spite of which we love the sinner -- no mere tolerance or indulgence which parodies love as flippancy parodies merriment."

--C. S. Lewis, From The Weight of Glory.

Michael D. Warden said...

Love that quote, Kari! Thanks for posting it!