Friday, August 08, 2008

Take 100% Responsibility for Your Life

Last night I began reading The Success Principles by Jack Canfield. I already have the sense, just a few pages in, that this is going to be an important book for me. In many ways, I suspect it may be a contextual modernization of Proverbs, which I have been meditating on and working with for the months now...but hitting more directly on the doing of the principles--that is, how they actually look when worked out in everyday life.

And the first principle? "Take 100% Responsibility for Your Life." To succeed (which I translate as unleashing your potential in a way that is life-giving to you and to those you do life with), you must accept that you have created the life you have, and therefore there is no room for playing the victim or complaining (which is, really, blaming something out there for how your life turned out today, or this year, or this decade). But it also means you have abundant capacity to recreate your life.

It's not easy, says Canfield. To remake a life takes work. But, he says, if you do the work (working the principles, specifically), then they always--always--work for you. He speaks with that same crazy ease and confidence I see in the Proverbs when it says repeatedly in one way or another: Wealth follows the Righteous.

This principle is key to experiencing authentic life change. By playing the victim, you render yourself powerless to change your life. That capacity & authority has been handed away to someone or something outside yourself. Only by taking full 100% responsibility for the life you have can you lay hold of the power to choose a different path.

So...where are you playing the victim in your life?

And if you really gave up playing the victim, and took full responsibility for your life just as it is right now, what then?

These are the questions I'm asking myself. I share them in the hope that they may be helpful to you too.

No comments: