Friday, November 16, 2007

Favorite Quotes from The Imitation of Christ (part deaux)

Having already posted some of my favorite quotes from The Imitation of Christ, I thought it only right that I also post some of my least favorite quotes from the tome. These left me scratching my head, and in some cases, a tad repulsed:

"Truly to know and despise self is the best and most perfect counsel."

I wrote in the margin: I do not agree. This is a subtle deception and an even subtler arrogance against God, who loves us each and names us a wonder (Psalm 139:14).

"When a man is perfectly contrite, the whole world is bitter and wearisome to him."

I wrote in the margin: Yikes! Really? To be contrite (truly humble), would not all the world be a stunning masterpiece of God's great art and love? The world is broken, sure, but God loves it--loves us--all. Is the world bitter and wearisome to him? I should hope not, or we are without hope. Stop looking at the waves, and notice that you are walking on water!

No comments: