Monday, September 24, 2007

On the Edge of Overwhelm...


(okay...maybe over the edge just a touch)

I've got a lot going on. Lots of pots on the stove...on multiple stoves, in fact. It's all really great stuff...well, most of it is anyway, except for having to redo my financial record books for my business because (would you believe it?) I've been using the wrong software to keep track of my business books for this entire year...long story, that. Anyway, most of the stuff I've got cookin' is great stuff, and I'm really excited about it all.

But there's a lot of it. Maybe too much. Or at least, too many different things are all needing my attention all at once. That happens sometimes, you know, in a life like mine. Maybe in your life too?

Life balance is a tricky business. Like standing on one foot, you're constantly shifting, adjusting, balancing and rebalancing to keep yourself upright. Sometimes, when it's especially challenging (like now), I notice this really weird (and counterintuitive) effect: All these good things, these wonderful things I really want and enjoy...start sucking my life away. OK. Coach confession: I sometimes forget that you can get just as overwhelmed by having too many good, desireable things crowding your life as you can by having too many undesireable things. Oh yeah! Huh. Imagine that, Warden.

So it's time to get back to basics...reconnect to the core activities & practices that refuel and refill my soul. For me that's regular, unhurried time with God, regular exercise (preferably outdoors), playing my guitar, and just being quiet. What about you? What fills you up? Those "cornerstone" activities and spiritual practices are important...really important. Because in the midst of your busyness, if you don't have life, then what are you doing it all for?

"Let us in all the troubles of life remember--that our one lack is life--that what we need is more life--more of the life-making presence in us making us more, and more largely, alive. When most oppressed,when most weary of life, as our unbelief would phrase it, let us bethink ourselves that it is in truth the inroad and presence of death we are weary of. When most inclined to sleep, let us rouse ourselves to live. Of all things let us avoid the false refuge of a weary collapse, a hopeless yielding to things as they are. It is the life in us that is discontented; we need more of what is discontented, not more of thecause of its discontent."

--George MacDonald

1 comment:

neicybelle said...

If i find myself feeling lonely, like someone's missing, if i haven't picked up my guitar in a while, and if i haven't been outside in a while...then i know i'm too busy. Time to step back and evaluate what's going on. The person missing is God, for i haven't been spending the time with Him that i should...and if i don't take time out for my guitar and my walk outdoors, i can't effectively deal with the stress of the day...
I actually have been dealing with that this week...*smiles* is good to know that i'm not the only one who does that...thank you!