Wednesday, July 11, 2007

The Intimate Pace

Talked with Tim today about what a powerful impact our pace in life has on our sense of fulfillment and intimacy with God. Most people seem to think they don't have much choice when it comes to how fast their lives go or how much activity gets stuffed into the mix of it. Frankly, the last two weeks I've felt the same way. It's easy for me to get tricked into believing that the pace of my life isn't really up to me--that it's set by circumstance. But that's not the truth. The absence of choice is an illusion. We always have choice; the problem comes when we stop believing we do, or else go unconscious and zip through our days on autopilot, letting the environment yank us along like a rag doll lashed to the rear bumper of life. Living like that is a soul killer.

This issue has been coming up a lot lately for me--not just in my own life (and Tim's) but in the lives of many of my clients. In response, I've begun exploring some questions regarding this issue in my own life:
  • How is your pace working for you? Is it life-giving or life-sucking, or somewhere in between?
  • Who or what is in charge of the pace of your life?
  • What would it look like to let God set your pace each day--regardless of circumstance?
  • What's stopping you from choosing to go at His pace?
Here's the deal as I see it: Either following the Spirit works in the "real world," or it doesn't. It's no good saying you want to follow the Spirit and keep the pace He sets, but it just isn't practical. That doesn't make any sense. Doesn't God know what's going on in your world? Heck yeah He does. And, crazy as it sounds, He's actually smarter than you about what's needed and what's not; what must be done, and what can be let go.

It's all about slowing down enough to notice His wind, I think, and make the brazen choice to catch it and go at the pace His Spirit sets. In the world, yes. But clearly not of it.

"The wind blows where it wishes and you hear the sound of it, but do not know where it comes from and where it is going; so is everyone who is born of the Spirit." (John 3:8)

1 comment:

lyricalico said...

Another great Saturday morning with coffee and Michael's Musings. As far as the Intimate Pace goes, that Holy Spirit is far wilder than convention permits. As an artist I spend alot of alone time, and it renders me "weird". When I show up to be with clients, there is something so "different" about me I have to be very thoughtful to be able to interface with "the matrix". Being intimate with God is a spooky thing, among other things. That part cannot be minimized. Since God pines for that intimacy, I guess one of the choices we need to make is how "weird" are we willing to live our life?