Friday, May 27, 2005

Continued Thoughts on the Big Life

Continuing the thought from "The Big Life" entry a few days ago:

Why then don't we all jump in--surrender our hearts & lives to the greater good and purpose of God--without hesitation?

Self-life. The self-absorbed, sometimes panicked obsession to be our own greater power. To be our own God. To surrender--not to a good and power greater than ourselves--but to ourselves...bowing to the deepest compulsion of the "I, Me, Mine," which is always by one means or another to secure its own comfort, safety and glory. (My Christian friends call this the "carnal nature"; my NonChristian friends call it the Ego. But we all know what I'm talking about.)

Truly satisfying all of these compulsions, however (to secure your own comfort, safety and glory) are beyond the reach of the Self-life. Like Gollum's obsession with the One Ring, we become obsessed with the pursuit of possessing the "Precious Mine," not realizing that the pursuit itself is slowly bleeding our souls dry, and will eventually kill us--as it did Gollum. The deep lie that we believe effectively leads us to do the very opposite of what we desire. By making our own safety, comfort and glory our all-consuming goal, we lead ourselves down a dangerous path that actually robs our soul of any comfort at all, and eventually numbs our souls to death. It is for good reason that Jesus said, "He who tries to save his own life will lose it."

I am reminded of the words of Martin Luther King, Jr.: "Use me, God. Show me how to take who I am, who I want to be, and what I can do, and use it for a purpose greater than myself."

No comments: