Wednesday, October 06, 2004

My Evening Run

I went for a run tonight after work. Four miles plodding along through Searight Park. It's a ranch of sorts, really, and I love the name. I tell people I go there whenever I need to "see right" again (which is pretty much every day). It's all junipers and flowers and limestone creek beds and one or two hidden ponds (so far...they are hidden ponds after all). It's right in the city, but when you're there, you can't see any buildings, or hear any traffic. My kind of place.

(currently on the phones, "Dirty Day" by U2).

I went to run to reconnect...with what? It's hard to name. A sense of the rightness of things perhaps. The river of meaning that flows through the undercurrents of our lives.

I learned today that one of my coaching clients has cancer. She goes into the hospital tomorrow, goes into surgery. Yes, it's serious. And I'm pissed.

It's days like this that I feel so humbled by the role my clients allow me to take in their lives. I get to walk through life with some truly amazing people--through both the good and the horrid. What a privilege! What an honor! I'm reminded of something Merton wrote in Confessions of a Guilty Bystander. I can't recall the exact quote but it goes something like this: "How can you explain what you see to the world? How can you explain to everyone you pass on the street that they walk around like blazing fires of glory?"

(new song playing, "My Skin" by Natalie Merchant) That's what I wanted today...to get out of my skin, and see the true. The true in me. The true in my client. The true in God.

I did. For me, truth dances on the wind. The feel of it on my skin reminds me of things that run deep and unshakeable. When the trees sway in the breeze, it's worship. That's the best music I've ever heard. Like cathedrals of evergreen.

Here's what I'm reminded of today: Hope trumps every obstacle.



No comments: